- 4 eggs
- 500 g feta cheese (about 16 ounces / 2 cups)
- 4 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- enough butter to spread on top of the pastry
- 1 packet Phyllo pastry
- 1 large bowl for the filling
- 1 whisk for mixing the filling
- 1 baking pan
- 1 brush for greasing the sheets of dough
- Mix all ingredients for the filling (egg, cheese, and yogurt).
- Divide the mixture equally into three bowls.
- Oil the baking pan
- Lay the first sheet of phyllo pastry dough on it. Spray it a little and add the second layer on top. Make sure the edges of the pastry dough are hanging outside the pan.
- Place the first portion of filling, then add two more layers of dough, and brush it with oil.
Make sure the ends of these two dough layers are NOT hanging out of the baking pan but completely covering the byrek filling inside the pan.
- Place the second portion of filling on the dough.
- Place two more layers of dough on the filling and brush each one with oil. Then add the rest of the filling and add last two layers of dough. These layers are also covering the byrek filling. Brush the top with butter!
- Fold the overhanging dough edges (from the lower layers) back onto the byrek to cover it completely. Then brush butter on that, too.
- Place the pan in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for maximum 30 minutes.
Important! When you take the pan out of the oven, cover it with a clean kitchen towel to let the steam soften the byrek some more.